Sorry for the long blog absence. Not really. I was tired....and busy...and tired. Anyhoo, we've gotten a lot done around here (still a ways to go) and I wanted to share a little bit finally. I've been creating a new "ironing station" so I traded my old ironing board for my daughter's mini ironing board from IKEA. It was a little grubby so I got to work on it.
This was a very quick project and didn't take much fabric. I used my ironing board cover tutorial but made and easy, smaller version.
Here's a quick run down. I removed the string from the original cover and kept that to use again. I traced around it with an extra 1.5 inches around (give or take).
I cut some fabric on the bias (2 inches wide). I stitched the lengths together until I had about 90" to work with.
After folding it in half, and pressing it, I sewed it in along the outer edge of the WRONG side of the fabric using 1/4" seam allowance. The ends (which meet at the bottom center of the ironing board) are tucked under before folding and stitching down.
Then I folded the the bias tape over to the right side, encasing the raw edge. Now it just needed to be stitched around the edge.
Finally I fed the string through (you can use a safety pin or bodkin) and pulled it tight before tying it (no need for a knot, just a regular bow should hold).
I made it easily accessible by hanging it from a hook just above my iron.
I'll share some more projects from my ironing station (it's really cute!) very soon. Keep on sewing!