I finally found a cute coverlet to replace my old red one (seen in this post). It's a soft, buttery yellow and the kitty likes it. Plus it was dirt cheap at Ross (and came with shams which I now need pillows for) and that leaves me with just the curtains to replace and this room is done (until I get the curtains up and realize I want to paint the whole room or I won't be happy). I might make a quilt for the bed some day but since it's king sized it may be awhile before I get the nerve to tackle that job. This is great for now!
I've made huge progress on the boys quilts this past weekend and am getting close to the point where I need to go shopping for batting. I finished all the blocks and then split them up on the floor so that each boy had the same amount of each plaid design (made from my beautiful late grandpa's shirts).
Then I shuffled them around and around and back and forth until had had the right symmetry and a balance of colors (it's all very subjective but I stopped when I looked at them and they "felt" right). I don't know whose is whose yet but once they decide (I'll probably let Asher chose first since he's the oldest of the two) I'll do something to personalize each quilt which will make it special for them and easy for me to tell them apart.
I sewed the sashing on right away because I didn't want anyone coming in and messing up my separate piles so now they are permenantly sorted and I can breathe a sigh of relief. I'm doing more sashing around the outside and then another row of small square blocks. Then I can quilt them and have a couple of days set aside for binding and relaxing. Hopefully I'll be ready to bind them when it's time to watch Christmas movies and have festive smells wafting from the oven. Sounds so cozy.